Today Elleanna Joy turned three months old. We discovered many parenting joys this month.
– My goodness do we have a talker! Yesterday she had to get a few shots at the doctor. She squealed and then chilled out… until about four hours later. For the remainder of the day she DEFINITELY needed lots of cuddles. She had a hard time going down to sleep last night, so I was rocking her in the recliner. She kept looking at me and making little grunting sounds. Then she would smile and start up again. This morning Matt got up with her at 5:30 a.m…. and she started talking and smiling at him right away. Yep, we definitely have a social butterfly on our hands!
– She loves it when daddy makes rooster crows at her
– She has started becoming aware of other babies around her. Twice a week she sees a baby from one of my childhood friends, and lately they have just been chatting it up… talking world politics, SNL, you know… the good stuff.
– Elleanna continues to hate her car seat. The moment she gets strapped in, she makes a very serious face. Eventually she does give in and sleep, but it sure takes awhile.
– Yep, we have been pooped on. Quite a bit.
– Elleanna had her first giggles this month! She loves it when we kiss her ribs and talk with her, especially right after a diaper change. Yep, she is happy. She knows WE are the ones changing her diapers.
– She received a present of a little green and pink owl stuffed animal that we tied to her play mat. Wow, does she love that thing! She squeals with delight when she sees it.
– Elleanna took her first trip to the Western Slope this August! All of my family was in Paonia. We definitely had quite an adventure. Some nights she slept well and other nights were a train wreck, but overall we are glad we went. And we proved to ourselves that we CAN take a baby on a road trip for a week. Whew.
– On Sunday, Aug. 25 we were able to dedicate our beautiful little girl. Throughout her life so far we have had times where we have very intentionally blessed Elleanna with prayers and scriptures, and we are seeking the Lord about who she is and what He has made her to do so that we can support her in every way possible. For this Sunday, lots of family gathered at the church. My brother and sister-in-law led worship, and during one of the songs (None But Jesus), Joanna said she felt the chorus was a prayer we should sing over Elleanna (“There is no one else for me… None but Jesus… Crucified to set me free… Now I live to bring Him praise”). And that really is our prayer for her. We aren’t forcing her to be a Christian because we are. We are praying that her heart would become passionate for the Kingdom of God and that she would know her true identity in Him. Then, when our pastor prayed over her, he prayed that she would be a woman of compassion, joy and fulfill her calling of evangelizing and reaching out to others. I pray we would be such a family all together, focused on what really matters in this life. Of course I was balling. God is faithful, and He has given us some beautiful dreams to fight for in our daughter and in our family.